Shrewsbury is nestled in the county of Shropshire, on the border of North Wales and neighbour of Cheshire, Staffordshire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire. Shropshire is approximately 3 hours from London, an hour from Manchester and 40 minutes from Birmingham.
The 167-year-old train station is based within the centre of town, below Shrewsbury Castle. The station is serviced by trains from around the UK, many services to Wales start at or pass through Shrewsbury station, which is why the station is known as the 'Gateway to Wales'.
From Birmingham the journey is under an hour (on a direct train) and a new direct service between Shrewsbury and London launched in December 2014.
Plan your journey here with National Rail journey planner or call 08457 48 49 50.
If you're planning a road trip to Shrewsbury you will need to use the M54 / M6 network or the A49, A5, A53, A458 if approaching by A roads. There is parking a plenty in centre of Shrewsbury town.
· Abbey Foregate - SY2 6AH, open 24 hours
· Raven Meadows Multi-Storey - SY1 1PL, open 10am - 5pm
· St Julian's Friars - SY1 1XL, open 24 hours
· Frankwell Main - SY3 8HQ, open 5am - midnight (exit 24 hours)
· The Gap - SY1 1PL, open 8am - 8pm (charging hours 8am - 6pm)
· NCP Wyle Cop - SY1 1XE, open 6am - 10pm
· Bridge Street - SY1 1QU, maximum stay 2 hours, open 24 hours
· The Tannery - SY1 1QJ, maximum stay 2 hours, open 24 hours
· Frankwell Quay - SY3 8HQ, maximum stay 3 hours, open 24 hours
· Frankwell Riverside - SY3 8HQ, maximum stay 3 hours, open 5am - midnight (exit 24 hours)
· St Austins - SY1 1SA, maximum stay 2 hours, open 24 hours
· The Quarry Swimming Pool - SY1 1RU, maximum stay 4 hours, open 24 hours
Shrewsbury has designated on-street parking spaces for disabled badge holders on:
·Shoplatch - SY1 1HF
· Castle Street - SY1 2BQ
· St. Mary's Street - SY1 1DS
· Claremont Street - SY1 1QG
· Roushill - SY1 1PN
Parking is free if a badge is displayed.
Normal car parking charges apply for the designated disabled parking spaces in Raven Meadows multi-storey and in Abbey Foregate car park.
Some Hackney Carriage taxis are wheelchair accessible. Wheelchair accessible buses operate on all three Park and Ride routes. Normal charges apply.
There are three park and ride sites in:
· Harlescott - SY1 4HA, closes at midnight
· Meole Brace - SY3 9NB, closes after the arrival of the last bus (around 6.40pm)
· Oxon - SY3 5AD, closes after the arrival of the last bus (around 6.40pm)
Parking is free and the return bus fare costs £1.60 for adults, concessions are half price (with a senior citizen bus pass or Shrewsbury Sixth Form / Shrewsbury High School student card).
Buses run every 10 to 15 minutes between 7.30am and 6.30pm (last bus departs from car park at 6.10pm)
For more information on the park and ride services, visit the Shropshire Council website.
Travel by bus and coach is stress-free and cost-effective. For information and timetables call the Shropshire Travel Line on 0870 6082608.
Information is also available from National Express (08705 808080) Travel Line Midlands (0870 2002233) and Severn Dee Travel (01691 681010)
In 2012, Shrewsbury was awarded with a Coach Friendly Award by the Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT). Shrewsbury partners have continued to work with CPT to improve the coach offer and facilities, which included adding additional coach drop-off points.
Coaches can park at Abbey Foregate car park (13 coach / HGV bays) and Frankwell car park (5 dedicated coach bays). Parking for coaches is free although charges may apply during busy events, such as the Flower Show.
· Frankwell Coach Park - SY3 8HQ
· Abbey Foregate SY2 6AH and turn left at the Car Park sign (postcode is Shropshire Wildlife Trust)
· Frankwell Coach Park - SY3 8HQ
· St Chad's Terrace - SY1 1JX
· Shoplatch - SY1 1EB
· Dogpole - SY1 1HF
Shrewsbury is a medieval town with narrow streets, which could make access by large vehicles difficult. For advice on access, speak with the staff at your planned destination or contact the Parking and Transport Office on 01743 356628.
Jet-setters planning a trip to Shrewsbury can land at Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester, which are all an hour away. Birmingham and Manchester airports are connected to a mainline rail network.