The current prison buildings are Victorian, built in 1868 but there has been a prison on that site since 1793. The Dana was named after Rev Edmund Dana (1739-1823), who was the Vicar or Wroxeter, Eaton Constantine, Harley and Aston Botterell.
HMP Shrewsbury, known locally as The Dana Prison, closed in 2013 and is currently open for the ‘Worlds most interactive prison tours’, run by Jailhouse Tours. The guides that lead the tours are Ex-Prison Officers, who worked at The Dana when it was a working prison so they can share a wealth of knowledge about the prisons history and about prison life in Shrewsbury up until the day it closed.
Jailhouse Tours runs guided tours, theme events and experiences, educational days, history days, seasonal events, horror tours and School tours. Jailhouse Tours also manages private bookings and hire of Shrewsbury Prison.
The Dana Prison is a member of the Shrewsbury Tourism Association.