We are rolling out our new website design. Please let us know what you think!

Home » Visit » St Alkmund's Church
St Alkmund's Church

St Alkmund's Church

St Alkmunds Square
SY1 1UH Shrewsbury

About

A Shrewbury Original since
900

At the heart of the historic and beautiful town of Shrewsbury, founded about the year 900, stands the church of St Alkmund which celebrated its 1100th anniversary in 2012. There's a lot going for this town centre church, not least its reputation for the friendliness of the welcome given to its many visitors.

St Alkmund's Church stands at the highest point in the town of Shrewsbury. The structure that stands today is part mediaeval and part Georgian. The tower and spire (56 metres high) was built about 1475 in the Perpendicular style. It forms one of the five notable buildings that make the skyline of Shrewsbury so unforgettably interesting. The poet A.E.Housman immortalised this view in his words: "High the vanes of Shrewsbury gleam islanded in Severn stream".

St Alkmund's is open every day of the year from about 0930 to 1600 in winter and 1700 in summer. Visitors are always made very welcome.

A Shrewsbury Original

St Alkmund’s Church stands at the highest point in the town of Shrewsbury. It is known that there was a Saxon market called the King’s Market at the heart of Shrewsbury all round the church of St Alkmund. Nothing visible remains of the church that Aethelfleda founded. What we see today is part mediaeval and part Georgian. The tower and spire (56 metres high) was built about 1475 in the Perpendicular style. It forms one of the five notable buildings that make the skyline of Shrewsbury so unforgettably interesting. The poet A.E.Housman immortalised this view in his words: “High the vanes of Shrewsbury gleam islanded in Severn stream”.

Following the collapse of a neighbouring church (old St Chad’s) in 1788 the congregation of St Alkmund’s became concerned that their church might also collapse. Whether this was truly the case or not, the decision was taken to demolish the old mediaeval church except for the tower and spire, and a local architect, John Carline, was commissioned to build a new church in the Gothic Revival style.

Had his work remained intact, St Alkmund’s would have been one of the best examples of this style in England. Carline built a wonderfully light church with twelve identical windows made with the latest technology of the period. They had frames made of cast iron at Coalbrookdale – about fifteen miles from Shrewsbury. Superbly crafted in sections, and filled with clear glass, three of these magnificent windows have survived and have recently been completely repaired. They are contemporary (1795) with the great house at Fonthill that William Beckford was building for himself in the same style, and would held their own in that famous creation. Fonthill collapsed with thirty years, but St Alkmund’s still stands, although nine of the twelve windows were altered in the late 19th century, when ideas about what was correct architecture for a church differed from those of the Georgian period.
 

Meet The Team

Father Mark Chadwick, Vicar of the United Benefice of St Chad with St Mary and St Alkmund, Shrewsbury
Originally from Perth, Australia, Father Mark Chadwick became the vicor for St Chad's, St Alkmund's and St Mary's in 2013.